[mythtv-users] Power bill vs SchedulesDirect bill

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 14:00:24 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, Paul Mason <latepaul at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18/09/2007, jedi at mishnet.org <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> >

> > It's gotta be WAF.
> >
> > The average wife isn't going to relate the high power bill to the
> > rack of servers you have in your home office but dare to ask for
> > 60 bux to spend on a UPS and they get testy...
>

> That's not just WAF, it's been like that in every company I ever worked
> for. Getting authorization to spend from the capital budget seems to be like
> drawing blood but ongoing expenses[1] budgets usually dwarf them. Or put
> another way - if I wanted a new server I'd need to get it signed off by the
> Finance Director, for the fraction of the sum our local office manager
> spends on stationery every month.
>
> However, back to WAF, this is how my colleague managed to get his wife to
> agree to a media centre PC. He built it himself, bought the parts online and
> was careful to make sure no individual purchase was more than a cetain
> 'tipping point'
>
> [1]or whatever they really call it.

My wife and I have the perfect (for us anyway) solution to this problem.

We have our main checking account from which we pay bills, buy groceries,
all that kind of stuff.  In addition we have another checking account each.
We have an automatic transfer set up into each of those accounts to coincide
with pay check deposits.

Whenever one of us wants to buy something "trivial" we just use the money
from our own accounts.  Never had an argument about buying something since
(and it's been years).  Of course, she may roll her eyes about my purchases
sometimes, but that's as far as it goes.

The tricky part is that the debit cards for all three accounts look the same
(our bank doesn't offer different designs), but we solved that by adding a
small sticker to the front.