[mythtv-users] Integrated HDMI?

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Wed Sep 19 09:19:58 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 18:55 +1000, Christian Hack wrote:
> What CPU did you go with? I just purchased this board with an X2 4400+.
> The step up from an XP2400+ wasn't as much as I thought it would be.
> MythTV (fresh MythDora 4 install) still tends to be a bit sluggish at
> times which I found surprising.

Funny that - I just bought this motherboard to work as my slave backend
and main frontend... I've been a little surprised at the sluggishness of
it when running CentOS 5.  I've got an X2 4200+ on mine.  Drives 1080i
just fine so far...

> I'm only using VGA at the moment to a 1024x768 plasma, but wanted to
> know it could decode the full 1920x1080p. It seems to handle 1080i HD TV
> with little problem.

Driving mine to a 1920x1080 LCD, running with a 1920x1080 at 59.94
resolution...

> I'm not super happy with the VGA output quality at this stage but I need
> to buy an HDMI cable.

I'm loving the VGA output.  I can't see myself ever using HDMI.  The
prospect of HDCP coming out of this thing scares me...

My question, though, is whether or not you've got the onboard Gig-E
working.  It seems that CentOS5 (aka RHEL5 rebuild from SRPMS) doesn't
like it very much.  Using an Ubuntu LiveCD works fine with it, but
CentOS 5 won't take it at all natively.  When I install the (forked)
nvlan driver from nvidia.com and modprobe it, it yields a lot of:

kernel: drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: control queue full

messages, which is very strange.  The MB comes with quite a few USB
ports, as well as a header.  I've got 3 of the mains plugged in (usb,
usb -> serial adapter for my DCT-2000, and the mceusb receiver), and
when I use the onboard Gig-E, things go pear-shaped.  When I use a
header-connected USB->Gig-E adapter (yuck!), it's fine...

And no, I'm not even about to consider moving it all to Ubuntu... I want
CentOS (RHEL) to *work*. ;)

What has your experience been?  (And Jarod - are you listening? ;)

	-I