[mythtv-users] Running mythfilldatabase

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 18 23:34:29 UTC 2007

On 09/18/2007 09:48 AM, aaron wrote:
> On 9/18/07, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> While we're talking about the automatic mythfilldatabase (MFDB) controls,
>> perhaps you (or someone else, for that matter) can clear up another aspect
>> for me.  If I have the automatic scheduling of MFDB enabled and then use
>> the mythwelcome/mythshutdown controls to send my system into suspend
>> or hibernate, AKA suspend to ram or suspend to disk,  will it wake up when
>> the MFDB is scheduled to run (presuming that that is before the next
>> scheduled recording event)?  In other words, is the wakeup time fed to
>> mythshutdown taking into account *both* the time of the next recording
>> *and* the time of the scheduled MFDB job?  Section 11.5 of the
>> documentation in "Installing and using MythTV" doesn't make any mention
>> of the MFDB time, so it has been my assumption that it isn't accounted for.
>> Hence, I have not tried the automatic MFDB feature and instead have bashed
>> together a script to extract the suggested time from the MFDB log and choose
>> the earlier of that time and the time supplied by mythshutdown (my script is
>> masquerading as the nvram-wakeup command used to set the alarm time).
>> If I've reinvented the wheel, I'd be happy to trade in my wagon wheel for
>> a modern tubeless tire. ;-)
>>
> I'm not Mike, but I reported this a while back and Mike was good
> enough to fix it for me... no, it doesn't take into account the next
> suggested run time. But, if the system is off at the time
> mythfilldatabase was supposed to run, it will run automatically the
> next time the system IS up.

Thanks for responding, Aaron.  While you're not Mike, you made a good
stand-in.  :)

The fix that Aaron mentioned was actually the fix in the ticket to which
I linked earlier in the thread.  However, that patch was only applied to
SVN trunk, so 0.20-fixes will actually have an issue if using "Run
mythfilldatabase at time suggested by grabber" and shutting down the
master backend during the about-2-hour period around the suggested
time.  However, if mythbackend is ever run during that window, of some
future day, it should actually do an update.   With SVN trunk it will
just do the update immediately upon startup rather than wait for an
arbitrary time of day.

Waking up mythbackend just to run mfdb probably isn't necessary.  I
think SD/TMS are happy to let you run it again at some point after the
suggested time, so it isn't critical that it occurs exactly at the
suggested time

Mike