[mythtv-users] RCA through VGA

Mike altmcf at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 19:42:28 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2007, at 7:23 AM, Gary Jones wrote:
> I had a real headache getting the TV-Out to work on my PVR-350 (anyone
> surprised?), and as I'm looking to upgrade to 0.20, I'd like to avoid that
> mess if possible. I saw this VGA to RCA converter at monoprice:
>
> http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040113&p_id=2509&seq=1&format=2
>
> I see from the comments that some systems support video over VGA and others
> do not. I am running a Dell OptiPlex GX-150. Does anyone know if the
> on-board video card will support this? Or a place where I can look it up?
> Thanks.
>
> These kinds of adapters are pretty hit-or-miss, and the quality often isn't
> very good.  You'd probably be better off getting a video card that has TV
> out.  They're pretty inexpensive, now.

I just bought a:

VideoHome MovieShowPC VGA to TV Video NTSC PAL Scan Converter 1920x1200

on Ebay to do this VGA -> RCA ... it was $90 with tax and shipping ...
I suspect it was overkill but the price was ok for me to hopefully
bypass the headache.  All this for SD ... what a pain.  Hopefully it
works out - I will report back with my findings.

I bought it after thrashing around with this as you did on FC6 -
apparently there is a way outside of using packages and manually
compiling mythtv to get there with patches/etc but given my skill
level at linux that could take months!

I am hoping it will tide me over with the wife until ATrpms has all
the packages necessary to support the PVR-350 TV out properly with
mythtv (at which point I may try again depending on the quality of
this new setup) ... from a canned package perspective this really has
gone downhill from FC5 which went together flawless with Jarod's guide
using the same HW.

my box is thankfully back online otherwise using the stock xorg.conf
(w/o PVR-350 mods) so at least we won't miss our precious reality TV
crap. :)

-Mike