[mythtv-users] Multiple commercial flagging tasks causing Mythbackend to die

Steve Skarda steveskarda at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 14:19:11 UTC 2007

On 9/17/07, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been having a similar problem and after reading your post I realize
> that the backend is probably segfaulting and restarting itself due to a
> script I've been using. So, every time it dies it restarts and is probably
> adding a new commercial flagging process when it starts.

I have been using monit and it emails me when it has to restart the backend
so it is apparent to me when it is not working.   Also, some recordings have
gotten split due to backend dieing in the middle of a recording.  I have
Ubuntu Feisty.  Reading through this forum and ubuntu forums suggest that
others may be seeing the same problem but so far I haven't found a
solution.  I have a cron job logging temperature and it doesn't go above 56
degC so I don't think that is it.  I tried logging mpstat info and that
suggests the iowait may be spiking during the crash.  It is hard to tell
since it only takes 5 min averages.

Yesterday, I recompiled Myth with debug mode compiled in.  I am waiting for
it to crash and hopefully that will give me some clues to my problem.