[mythtv-users] Multiple commercial flagging tasks causing Mythbackend to die

A JM vbtalent at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 13:50:21 UTC 2007

I've been having a similar problem and after reading your post I realize
that the backend is probably segfaulting and restarting itself due to a
script I've been using. So, every time it dies it restarts and is probably
adding a new commercial flagging process when it starts.

#!/bin/bash

while [ 2 ]; do
BackendRunStatus=`ps -A | grep -c "mythbackend"`
if [ $BackendRunStatus == 0 ]
then
/usr/bin/mythbackend -v none > /dev/null &
fi
sleep 5
done

So, a question for the list, I'm sure its user error somehow but when I stop
Mythbackend from the command line by using CTL-C and I look in the process
list it's listed as "sleeping" and seems to not go-away. This is on an
Ubuntu FE/BE is there a correct way to stop a process that is running from
the command line that will get rid of all the threads? Could I modify the
script to include some sort of terminate or kill process to get rid of
anything left over?

Thanks.

AJM,