[mythtv-users] Understanding HD Antennas ( was HDHomeRun and jumpy video)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Sep 16 03:51:51 UTC 2007

Kevin Hulse wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 11:29:42AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>> I tested the antenna balanced on a ladder in my front room and found it
>>> worked pretty well.  It worked significantly better in the attic
>>> (because it was higher).
>> The general rule is: twice the height, twice the signal.
>
> 	Now that's a handy bit of information... thx.

As was pointed out it's a "rule of thumb", not entirely accurate and
subject to a lot of possible factors that can change it, but it is more
or less correct most of the time.

On old "rule" used to be "more metal more signal", which is NOT true
most of the time for TV antennas, unless the "more metal" is in
precisely the correct configuration. It was more or less true for
untuned antennas in the MF and HF range.

In fact, when you start getting into microwave frequencies with odd
things like fresnel zones, increasing the height can actually decrease
the signal, but that's not really relevant to Myth systems.

beww