[mythtv-users] Understanding HD Antennas ( was HDHomeRun and jumpy video)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 15 17:26:40 UTC 2007

On 09/15/2007 12:33 PM, Yan Seiner wrote:
> Kevin Hulse napsal(a):
>
>> 	Say I live in one of those prissy suburban subdivisions with
>> an HOA. Can I mount my antenna lower? Mebbe use a longer range antenna
>> than I would if it were on the roof?
> In the US, your HOA *CANNOT* control, limit, or even regulate in any way
> OTA antennas.  Per federal law, beaten to death on this list every so often.
>
> You can put up a reasonable antenna for personal use and you don't have
> to ask permission - or even file a notice with them.

True, but you have to live with the neighbors (and they can find other
ways to "pressure" you into removing the "eyesore" you've
installed--i.e. letters about minor infractions of anything else from
lawn/landscaping rules to ...).

I had the option to upset the neighbors or spend a /lot/ of time trying
to fit a 16 foot long antenna into my attic (which has trusses all over
the place getting in the way).  I went with the attic approach,
and--although it took me about 16-20 hours--it was worth it.  I also
have the benefit that my antenna survives strong windstorms unscathed
(so I'm not replacing it after every tropical storm/hurricane).

I tested the antenna balanced on a ladder in my front room and found it
worked pretty well.  It worked significantly better in the attic
(because it was higher).

Mike