[mythtv-users] Laptop - front end question...

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Sep 14 23:24:59 UTC 2007

On Sep 14, 2007, at 4:06 PM, A JM wrote:
> It's a Latitude 4100, since you guy's think there currently isn't
> an on/off remedy I was thinking about using a modification I used
> on my xbox (http://xir.us/xirpro.aspx ) that worked well I guess I
> could bypass the on/off switch, what do you guys think?

Just brainstorming here -- If your laptop has a "wake on ring"
feature in its BIOS, you might be able to interface that device to
the serial port and avoid opening up the machine.  I think you'd just
have to pull the RI (ring indicator) pin high.  This is pin 9 on a
DB-9 serial port.  Note that RS-232 uses negative voltages to
indicate a logic 1, so that means applying -3 to -12 volts.  You
could probably test it with a 9-volt battery before spending any
money on hardware.