[mythtv-users] Early exit

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Sep 13 18:58:36 UTC 2007

Damian wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> Damian wrote:

>>> That was my first thought for the recordings, but it wouldn't explain
>>> why watching live TV crashes out just before the end of a program would it?
>>>
>>> I'll try and get some frontend and backend output the next time it
>>> happens? What's the best way of doing that by the way? Running the
>>> frontend from the command line and putting the backend log into gedit as
>>> soon as there's a problem?
>>
>> run mythbackend -v channel,record,database -l /var/log/backend.log from
>> one console and the same sort of command for mythfrontend from another.
>>
>> It is especially useful under this circumstance to set myth to run in a
>> window (Setup->General or Appearance IIRC)..then you can move the window
>> over and watch the log.
>>
>> Geoff
>>

> Thanks Geoff,
>
> That's a whole new world of command to me, but ok .. I'll give it a go :-)
>
> so I run Myth in a window,
> run
> mythbackend -v channel,record,database -l /var/log/backend.log
> in one terminal and
> mythfrontend -v channel,record,database -l /var/log/frontend.log
> in a second?
>
> Again, please excuse my ignorance. These commands are all very straight
> forward once you know them, but until then ...

Not to worry. I used OS/2 from the command line for years, but moving to
Fedora was still a case of stepping into the deep end of the pool!

OK. Get into mythfrontend and set it to run in a window. You will have
to stop mythfrontend.

Open 3 or 4 separate console windows. In the first, stop mythbackend if
it is running as a service, and restart it from the command line in that
window. You might want to try it first without the -l logfile bit so you
can see what it outputs. Since livetv *records* before it plays, and it
is clearly a database event which triggers the stop I think we want to
see those events, There are a pile of other switches you can use. Try
mythbackend -v help to see them all.

Start mythfrontend in the second window. You will see the usual
'pre-scaling' announcements. You can then grab the window by the top
frame and slide it to the side. You can ignore the two windows. Move
them out of the way. Separate the last 2. I stack them vertically. Then
run 'tail -100 /var/log/backend.log' in one, and 'tail -100
/var/log/frontend.log' in the other. You can jump back and forth and
repeat that command while you look at what is going on.

That may or may not produce a blinding revelation... but at the least,
it will give you a log which you can parse through, looking for events
at the relevant time...
Good luck.
Geoff

--