[mythtv-users] Early exit

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 08:33:45 UTC 2007

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Damian wrote:
>> R. G. Newbury wrote:

>>> run mythbackend -v channel,record,database -l /var/log/backend.log from
>>> one console and the same sort of command for mythfrontend from another.
>>>
>>> It is especially useful under this circumstance to set myth to run in a
>>> window (Setup->General or Appearance IIRC)..then you can move the window
>>> over and watch the log.
>>>
>>> Geoff
>>>
>> Thanks Geoff,
>>
>> That's a whole new world of command to me, but ok .. I'll give it a go :-)
>>
>> so I run Myth in a window,
>> run
>> mythbackend -v channel,record,database -l /var/log/backend.log
>> in one terminal and
>> mythfrontend -v channel,record,database -l /var/log/frontend.log
>> in a second?
>>
>> Again, please excuse my ignorance. These commands are all very straight
>> forward once you know them, but until then ...
>
> Not to worry. I used OS/2 from the command line for years, but moving to
> Fedora was still a case of stepping into the deep end of the pool!
>
> OK. Get into mythfrontend and set it to run in a window. You will have
> to stop mythfrontend.
>
> Open 3 or 4 separate console windows. In the first, stop mythbackend if
> it is running as a service, and restart it from the command line in that
> window. You might want to try it first without the -l logfile bit so you
> can see what it outputs. Since livetv *records* before it plays, and it
> is clearly a database event which triggers the stop I think we want to
> see those events, There are a pile of other switches you can use. Try
> mythbackend -v help to see them all.
>
> Start mythfrontend in the second window. You will see the usual
> 'pre-scaling' announcements. You can then grab the window by the top
> frame and slide it to the side. You can ignore the two windows. Move
> them out of the way. Separate the last 2. I stack them vertically. Then
> run 'tail -100 /var/log/backend.log' in one, and 'tail -100
> /var/log/frontend.log' in the other. You can jump back and forth and
> repeat that command while you look at what is going on.
>
> That may or may not produce a blinding revelation... but at the least,
> it will give you a log which you can parse through, looking for events
> at the relevant time...
> Good luck.
> Geoff

Thanks for your help Geoff and David!! I'll keep these posts for reference.

I had one of my rare Myth sessions last night and felt I was wasting it
sitting around waiting for an intermittent failure, so I got on with
trying to sort out XvMC (which I've never had working) in an attempt to
get past jittery/stuttery play back I've been getting a lot of recently.

I'll come back to this early exiting problem if I can make it repeatable
and predictable.

I'm sure I'll be back to it again and I have a much better starting
point now!

Thanks for your help
Damian