[mythtv-users] Distro Preferences

Thu Sep 13 11:19:24 UTC 2007

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:45:37 +0100
  "Paul Mason" <latepaul at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Due to some hardware changes I'm planning to rebuild my
>MythTV box shortly.
> I'll be copying over my recordings and database and
>since my current system
> is a recent-ish SVN I'll be building Myth from source.
>
> I'm considering trying out a different distro. Currently
>my MythTV box is
> openSuse 10.2 and my laptop, and occasional frontend, is
>Fedora 7. I've also
> use Fedora 6 in the past for Myth.

When I built my Myth box I wanted a relatively small
install base since I wasn't going to be using much other
software.

I found that Arch Linux did the trick for me - Its not for
the faint of heart though.  You should be an experienced
Linux person to do the install.  It does use a good
package manager called pacman -- makes it easier then say
Gentoo.

If you are looking for simplicity, I would suggest Linux
Mint.  Its a Ubuntu variant with some very nice cleanups.
 You can install Myth from deb packages which will set up
all of the auto-login for myth, etc.  Then you can do an
apt-get build-dep mythtv and get the dependencies to build
myth from source.

I can say I've tried just about every major Linux distro
out there and no one is perfect in my opinion.  These two
are just my preferences until better solutions come
available.

Norm