[mythtv-users] NFS issue

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 12 00:16:31 UTC 2007

From: "R. G. Newbury" <newbury at mandamus.org>

> Harry Devine wrote:
> > I have a FC6 box as my main PC aside from my MythTV box (which is also FC6).
> I setup and NFS share on my main box to share my MP3 collection. I would like
> to mount to that directory from my MythTV box to copy over all of the MP3s to
> use in MythMusic. However, whenever I try to mount the directory, I get the
> following error message:
> >
> > "mount: mount to NFS server '192.168.1.102' failed: System Error: No route to
> host."
> >
> > My IPTables firewall on both boxes have the following lines in them:
> > "-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 2049 -j
> ACCEPT"
> >
> > If I stop the iptables service on my main PC, I can mount it fine, so I know
> its a firewall issue. I know that 2049 is the NFS port (via /etc/services), so
> why wouldn't NFS be working in my case? I'd like to have it work, then
> automount it via /etc/fstab.
> >

> Since all of the answers seemed to deal only with top/bottom posting...
>
> go here: http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/
>
> and jump to section 7, Troubleshooting
>
> It explains the error messages and what to do to fix them.
>
> You probably have a firewall problem. Fedora has nice little program
> called 'lokkit' which allows you to fiddle with the firewall and
> iptables. You need to open the correct ports.
>
> You may have other errors too, so check out that page. IIRC you need
> port 22 open.
>
> Geoff
>

> --
> R. Geoffrey Newbury
> Barrister and Solicitor
> Suite 106, 150 Lakeshore Road West
> Mississauga, Ontario, L5H 3R2
>
> o905-271-9600 f905-271-1638
> newbury at mandamus.org
>
> Helping with the HTTP issue
> HTTP

Thanks for the link.  I checked it out, but didn't really help much.  All it really said in my case was that I was a victim of an overzealous firewall.  I recently took a RedHat Firewall class for my job, so I'm going thru those materials to see what the problem is, but nothing as of yet.  I still get the same error.
I tried adding a rule on the UDP port 2049 (for NFS), similar to the TCP equivalent, but I still get the same error.  I tail'd /var/log/messages and /var/log/secure on my NFS server, but no messages came up when my Myth box tried to NFS-mount to the share.
Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Harry