[mythtv-users] Free US/Canada Listings

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Tue Sep 11 06:19:49 UTC 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 03:09:48PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> > From: "R. G. Newbury" <newbury at mandamus.org>
> >
> > > A scraper writer who publishes his code, so that others may
> > > circumvent a technological measure is clearly a criminal under
> > > the DCMA  see 17USC s.1201 and 1204.  (try thomas.loc.gov).
> > > There is a
> >
> > I don't understand your repeated references to the Defense
> > Contract Management Agency.  They might take exception to this.
> He meant the DMCA, and you know it.  If you're going to do spelling
> flames, make them a *little* less esoteric, ok?

No dry humor allowed either?  OK I will be more blunt.  Did you notice
the word "repeated"?  The guy didn't just make a typo.  Which leads to
my point below.

> No, I'm pretty sure he *is* an attorney, and he's not telling us
> where he's licensed to practice precisely *because* he doesn't want
> to get in trouble by being seen to be giving advice.

I would be VERY surprised if he's an attorney.

> We've all been *exceptionally* clear in explaining precisely why it
> is that we would -- as the community of this list -- generally
> prefer to see discussion of
> scraping-which-violates-expressed-terms-of-service of listings
> providers --
> especially one whose board chairman runs this list and makes your
> favorite software --
> done on other lists that Isaac isn't on the hook for.
> If you *still* don't get it, have the grace to request further
> clarification offlist, please?

Your endless repetition doesn't mean that I don't get it.  Neither
does your ignoring the fact that Newbury was talking about squashing
ALL discussion of scrapers.

And perhaps Isaac could speak for himself?