[mythtv-users] Apple X11 or XDarwin?

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 03:51:37 UTC 2007

On 9/10/07, David Snider <dsnider at thesniderpad.com> wrote:

> >     The Mac frontend is significantly less responsive, suffers from
> >     some slight but annoying video artifacts when playing HD content,
> >     doesn't handle commercial skipping, and suffers from a horrible
> >     bug that causes recording to recue to the beginning if you hit the
> >     "jump forward" or "jump backward" multiple times in rapid
> succession.
> >
> >     It also tends to lock up the machine when left running for more
> >     than a day or so, and has exhinited problems returning from
> >     suspend/sleep.
> >
> >     In short, it's great to be able to use my macbook as a frontend,
> >     but it would suck as a dedicated frontend.
> >

> > Yikes - that does suck?!  Are you using precompiled binaries, or
> > building yourself?
> >
> > I read through your list, and I am having none of those problems with
> > my mac Mythfrontend.  I am currently running the 0.20.2 universal
> > binary from thesniderpad.com <http://thesniderpad.com>; however, I
> > have also used other intel binaries available on the web without
> problems.
> >
> > No commskip would have been a deal killer for me - it has worked
> > perfectly on my FE from day one.  I'm assuming you've checked your
> > setup menus?
> > I see occasional artifacts on HD shows; however, they are a product of
> > my loathed cable provider, not the mac.  They show up in the same
> > place when I watch the recording on my linux FE. I've also left it
> > running for several days without a hitch.
> I'm glad the universal binary is working for you.  I also get commercial
> skip with no issues.  BUT, I have seen the issue with the jump
> forward/backward multiple times.

I'm open to the possibility that I am imagining the commercial skip problem,
(I'm running David's 20.1 build).  The HD artifact I have seen is kind of
like a diagonal tearing in the image.  During fast motion scenes (watching
football this weekend), a diagonal line will appear from the top left corner
towards the bottom right and the image will appear to be misaligned by a
pixel or two between the two haves of the image.

As for suspend/sleep issues and lockups, I willing to blame those problems
on my mac, as it has been known to suffer those problems without myth
running.

--
TV/IT Engineer
WCJB-TV Gainesville, FL