[mythtv-users] SD privacy policy concerns

Ben Giddings bg-mythtv at infofiend.com
Tue Sep 11 01:14:37 UTC 2007

On Sep 9, 2007, at 01:56, Peter Watkins wrote:
> I guess I have three main suggestions:
>
> 1) On the legal/government side, alter the language so that SD is only
> allowed to share my PII when legally *required* to do so (vs. the
> current
> document's language authorizing SD to do what it's *allowed* to do).
>
> 2) On the business/sharing side, alter the language to disallow
> information
> sharing, except with "Supplier"/Tribune, and for auditing purposes.
> We've been
> told SD exists to collect all the money that Tribune is demanding
> for their
> data, but this policy seems designed to give SD freedom to try out
> other business models without getting customers' approval.
>
> 3) Tighten up the PII/Non-PII definitions, especially IP/cookie
> language.

I agree with all of these, in addition, I'd like the "opt-out" bit to
be "opt-in":

"Other Communications. From time to time, Company may contact You to
inform You of products, programs, services and promotions that
Company believes may be of interest to You. At any point after You
terminate Your account, Company may contact You via email to inquire
about Your reasons for such termination. If You wish to opt-out of
receiving such marketing communications from Company, please follow
the opt-out procedures described in the "Opt Out" section below."

I agree with having to opt-out of "Administrative Communications",
however I think the default should be to have to opt-in to "marketing
communications".

Ben