[mythtv-users] Commercial flagging on backend disrupts HDTV playback on front end

Taco Mel taco_mel at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 20:01:23 UTC 2007

With my current settings I have experienced a problem
with playing back HDTV (prebuffer pauses, very
jittery) when the back end server is "busy":

1. Recording HDTV stream with pcHDTV 5500
2. Recording SDTV stream with Hauppauge 500
3. Commercial flagging #1 and #2
4. Feeding HDTV stream #1 to remote front end

The back end has 1 TB storage in RAID-5 and is a dual
Xeon 1.8 GHz setup, hyperthreading enabled.  Linux
sees this as 4 CPU's.  There I find a "mythcommflag"
process using 100% of a CPU (iowait around 5-20%).
The front end (Athlon X2 5200+) isn't even breaking a
sweat. I tried to "renice" the mythcommflag process to
+19 on the back end and this did not help.  Killing
mythcommflag on the back end immediately "fixed" the
problem.

While it's easy enough for me to log in to the back
end to kill the commercial flagging, I'd like
something more automated and wife-friendly than this.

If I export the recordings directory via NFS is it
possible to run the commercial flagging from another
machine -- perhaps on the aforementioned front end
which has plenty of free cycles?  Preferably just for
this one source?  Should I turn off hyperthreading on
the back end?  Any better ideas?