[mythtv-users] spontaneous reboots -- solved (I think), kernel boot args

Peter Watkins peterw at tux.org
Mon Sep 10 18:29:26 UTC 2007

Peter Watkins wrote:
> A couple weeks ago I upgraded my 0.19 system (based on Fedora Core 4
> i386 & Jarod's guide) to 0.20.x on Ubuntu 7.04 amd64, in preparation
> for Schedules Direct.
>
> The system has been spontaneously rebooting ever since -- uptime
> between 7 minutes and 9 hours. Before this change, it was rock solid.
> Considering the previous stability, the new power supply, the success
> with memtest86+, and the results of my hardware tests, it seems very
> plausible that I'm having software trouble.
Changing from Ubuntu's default kernel boot args ("quiet splash") to
"irqpoll noapic nolapic acpi=off" appeared to do the trick -- over 50
hours of uptime! "acpi=off" effectively disabled the PowerNow CPU
scaling, so I'm now trying "irqpoll noapic nolapic". I think "noapic
nolapic" is the real key -- I added "irqpoll" in hopes of addressing the
initramfs boot problem.

Thanks,

Peter