[mythtv-users] Another hardware spec test/question

William Pettersson enigma at strudel-hound.com
Sat Sep 8 00:23:32 UTC 2007

Ok, so I sold an old laptop, and scrounged a bit.  I'm thinking of
fixing up my mythbox frontend now.  As in, rebuilding.

This box is only a frontend.  It doesn't have any tuners, just outputs
to my (currently) LCD that does 1280x768 (720p at best).

I hope to be able to playback HiDef digital on this box, so I'll need at
least some grunt.

So far, I was thinking the following:

LV-674  ( Pentium D LGA775, onboard GMA950, 2x DDR2 RAM Slots, PCI-E x16
 slot ) from

Morex 3777 Case and PSU:

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2140 1.60GHz/1MB CACHE/800FSB/LGA775
2GB (2x 1GB Kit) Value Select PC-5300 (667MHz) Corsair

There's no hard drive as I'll just re-use the hard drive from the
current box, with a PATA-SATA adapter.  After the frontend rebuild, I'm
redoing the back end, and will probably set up some PXE action then.

Anyway, I'm all ears to ideas on what I could improve, but what I really
want to know is how well I can expect to play back HD content on this
box.  I want it to do 720p at least.  If it's a cheap upgrade to 1080p,
I'll consider it, but I wouldn't really use it.

So, will my Pentium Dual Core (not Core2Duo), Intel 950GMA and 2GB of
RAM handle 1080p?  720p?  Ninja turtles?

Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (GNU/Linux)