[mythtv-users] Mythweb Schedule filtering question

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 20:16:02 UTC 2007

On 9/8/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 10:50:01AM -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:
> <snip>
> > The difference is whether or not showings of old episodes are
> > included in the recording list. Which new episodes will record
> > will be exactly the same for either of these options.
>
> > 'New episodes only' matches all the showings for the rule then
> > in the 'place' phase, marks the showings that are more than 14
> > days past their original air date as "r". 'Exclude old episodes'
> > doesn't match for any of the showings more than 14 days old
> > so these are never clutter in the recording list. Both of these
> > approaches are valid and may or may not be what the user expects
> > to see.
>
> > For example, "Saturday Night Live" is on once a week on NBC but more
> > often than not, they are repeats. I use 'New episodes only' so that
> > repeats are listed marked as "r". I can look at the description and
> > decide if I want to re-record it if I'd like.
>
> > "Mythbusters" has two showings of one recent episode "Mythbusters
> > Revealed" which I've already recorded but there are 49 showings of
> > "Mythbusters" episodes in my listings. I don't want to have about
> > fifty "Mythbusters" in my list all the time when I won't consider
> > recording these. By using 'Exclude old episodes' the list only
> > includes the two showings of the new episode.
>
> > Further, because the scheduler will only consider new episodes with
> > either of these options, I can go to the 'Previously Recorded' page in
> > mythfrontend and remove all the old episodes for "Mythbusters" rather
> > than accumulating hundreds of these over the years.
> >
> > As I said, either of these are valid and may be what you want but
> > for each of them, only the showings for new episodes are eligible to
> > record and the same showings will be scheduled if you use one or the
> > other of these options.
>
> I apologize, Bruce; I was hoping that by the end of your message I'd be
> able to pry out the difference in meaning between new/old. is/isn't
> repeat, and we've recorded it/we haven't, but I couldn't *quite* do it.
>
> "New episodes only" and "exclude repeats" are *separate* checkboxes,
> right? (I'm not near my machine.)
>
> "Exclude repeats" is pretty clear: if the R flag is on the listing
> record, skip it.
>
> But what, exactly, is the definition of "New episodes only"?  "Ones
> we've never recorded *here* before"?  (This isn't idle query; I want to
> get the right answer into the User's Manual ... where I see that it is
> not, at the moment.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

Jay,

I think I get it.  "New episodes only" makes a list of all candidates that
otherwise match the rule.  It **later** marks those that first aired > 14
days
ago as repeats by showing them in the list with "r".  Those without "r" are
potential recordings, depending on scheduling priorities and conflict
resolution.
OTOH, "'Exclude old episodes" strips the old episodes out when making the
list of candidates up in the first place and the user won't even know
they're
available for overriding the rule and recording anyway.

Does that help?  Bruce- Am I still barking up the wrong tree?

Craig.