[mythtv-users] Mythweb Schedule filtering question

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat Sep 8 17:50:01 UTC 2007

Brian L. Walter wrote:
> Craig Huff wrote:
>> On 9/7/07, *Mike LaPlante* <mike at dividia.net
>> <mailto:mike at dividia.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     Brian Walter wrote:
>>     > Greetings,
>>     >
>>     > I'm curious about the difference, in schedule maintenance via
>>     MythWeb,
>>     > between 'New episodes only' and 'Exclude Repeats'....
>>     >
>>     > Which is the better for finding only new showings...how are they
>>     > similar...how are they different?
>>     >
>>     > TIA
>>     > Brian
>>     >
>>     I have no idea, but I know I have to use the "Exclude Repeats" or else
>>     it will still record rerun episodes. I tried the New Episodes Only
>>     and
>>     saw that it was still recording Late Night with Conan episodes
>>     that had
>>     the (rerun) tag.
>>
>>     Mike
>>

>> I believe "New Episodes Only" means new to your MythTV database -- no
>> match to previously recorded shows,
>> as opposed to "Exclude Repeats" which uses xml data that flags the
>> listing as a repeat of a previously aired show.
>>
>> Clearer?
>>
>> Craig.
> *That* makes sense!  I had a Tivo mindset...where "New episodes only"
> means new broadcast...

I'm glad you enjoyed that speculation but it has no basis
in fact =).

The difference is whether or not showings of old episodes are
included in the recording list. Which new episodes will record
will be exactly the same for either of these options.

Mythweb is a web interface to the myth system and these are
options to mythbackend's scheduler. Equivalent options are
available from mythfrontend.

The scheduler can be thought of as having two phases; 'match'
which finds all the showings that match each rule in the TV
listings, and 'place' which places the showings that will record
into the schedule and marks the reasons why the other showings
won't record.

'New episodes only' matches all the showings for the rule then
in the 'place' phase, marks the showings that are more than 14
days past their original air date as "r". 'Exclude old episodes'
doesn't match for any of the showings more than 14 days old
so these are never clutter in the recording list. Both of these
approaches are valid and may or may not be what the user expects
to see.

For example, "Saturday Night Live" is on once a week on NBC but
more often than not, they are repeats. I use 'New episodes only'
so that repeats are listed marked as "r". I can look at the
description and decide if I want to re-record it if I'd like.

"Mythbusters" has two showings of one recent episode "Mythbusters
Revealed" which I've already recorded but there are 49 showings
of "Mythbusters" episodes in my listings. I don't want to have
about fifty "Mythbusters" in my list all the time when I won't
consider recording these. By using 'Exclude old episodes' the list
only includes the two showings of the new episode.

Further, because the scheduler will only consider new episodes
with either of these options, I can go to the 'Previously Recorded'
page in mythfrontend and remove all the old episodes for "Mythbusters" rather than accumulating hundreds of these over the years.

As I said, either of these are valid and may be what you want but
for each of them, only the showings for new episodes are eligible
to record and the same showings will be scheduled if you use one
or the other of these options.

--  bjm