[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 8 15:04:29 UTC 2007

On 09/08/2007 10:18 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 11:46:07PM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
>
>> You left out the part about commercial software companies using Z2L free
>> data.  I'm pretty sure that TMS felt that there was a LOT of lost
>> revenue in there.  Users of MythTV (and GB-PVR, Freevo, MacProgramGuide
>> and a dozen other apps) just happened to be caught out in the cold.
>>
> Ok, Chris: *this* is the point no one ever had a clear answer to:
>
> What is the difference, really, whether I buy a box fill of parts from
> Newegg, build a mythbox, and go register it with Z2l (or SD)...
>
> or if I go to some guys who've done all the hard work for me...

I'm pretty sure it's been established that selling pre-configured Myth
boxes where the end-user signed up for the Z2L account and the company
selling the Myth boxes doesn't make promises for the availability of
data was not the issue.  See
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/275597#275597 (sorry
about the uncited reference to the actual answer, but I'm pretty sure
I've seen more mention of Dragon ( http://mythic.tv/ ) being OK).

> and go register it with Z2l or SD?
>
> The only thing I could see Z2l counting as "abuse" was that they wanted
> individual registrations from each end user, so that they could see the
> statistics which were (at least vaguely) mentioned as one of the things
> they got for giving away the data for free...
>
> and as I've already mentioned, I see no *practical* way to avoid that,
> even if someone else built my box.
>
> Feel free to answer off list if the answer requires you to even
> paraphrase facts not yours to disclose publically.

Just an observation--I haven't done any research on this idea--I don't
see PlutoHome on the list of approved SD apps.  I don't know if it's off
the list because it's "just MythTV," but I'd say it's far less MythTV
than KnoppMyth, MiniMyth, Mythbuntu, and MythDora--which /are/ on the list.

If Pluto isn't an approved app, I'd be interested to know what the Pluto
folk are using, now.

Mike