[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Sep 8 14:18:31 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 11:46:07PM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> You left out the part about commercial software companies using Z2L free
> data.  I'm pretty sure that TMS felt that there was a LOT of lost
> revenue in there.  Users of MythTV (and GB-PVR, Freevo, MacProgramGuide
> and a dozen other apps) just happened to be caught out in the cold.

Ok, Chris: *this* is the point no one ever had a clear answer to:

What is the difference, really, whether I buy a box fill of parts from
Newegg, build a mythbox, and go register it with Z2l (or SD)...

or if I go to some guys who've done all the hard work for me...

and go register it with Z2l or SD?

The only thing I could see Z2l counting as "abuse" was that they wanted
individual registrations from each end user, so that they could see the
statistics which were (at least vaguely) mentioned as one of the things
they got for giving away the data for free...

and as I've already mentioned, I see no *practical* way to avoid that,
even if someone else built my box.

Feel free to answer off list if the answer requires you to even
paraphrase facts not yours to disclose publically.

Cheers,
-- jra