[mythtv-users] OT: yum vs. apt-get (was: Re: Yum upgrade to SD missing dependencies)

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Sep 7 16:07:57 UTC 2007

On Sep 6, 2007, at 7:31 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> Indeed; I've recently been introduces to CentOS 4.5, which apparently
> is also yummy.  I thought that it's ability to retrieve dependencies
> from online repos was really cool, and I didn't have to turn anything
> on to get it.

Yup.  I maintain both Debian and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 systems
at work, and I find yum and apt-get have actually grown quite
similar.  In any case, yum is light-years ahead of the old 'up2date'
tool RedHat used to ship.  The choice of packages in RHEL is still
rather limited, though -- for example, nut-client isn't in there, so
I had to grab a Fedora RPM to interface to my UPS.