[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 6 16:17:50 UTC 2007

On 09/06/2007 11:13 AM, Jeff Wormsley wrote:
> Now, I've said that I would prefer a free listing service (and can
> program one if I need to), but I do understand that SD is a more robust
> solution.  I already pay too much for cable, too much for internet
> access, too much for equipment, one more payment, while small, is like
> the proverbial straw, and is yet one more thing to deal with.
> Fortunately for me, I have a month or so to consider things, as my Myth
> system is currently shut down due to remodeling.

So, if you were to pay, say, $6/mo extra to your cable company, would
that be too much?  Often, cable companies charge some amount (I've seen
charges from $5.99 to $14.99 per month--and often per DVR) for a DVR/PVR
service.  Included in that cost is the cost of the listings data used by
the DVR (along with hardware rental and perhaps other costs).

So, that means that any of you who are getting cable, but not buying the
DVR service (who needs it when I have Myth?) are actually saving
yourselves money--and I'd bet you're saving more money than the cost of
an SD subscription (even at $15/3 months and especially when the cost is
reduced).  So, by that reasoning, paying for the SD subscription means
you're just paying the portion of price of the DVR service that you
actually intend to use--the portion that covers the data cost.

Now, if you have multiple capture cards and, possibly, also, multiple
backends, you may be saving the DVR cost multiple times over.

Too bad cable companies don't offer a "MythTV" option that puts the SD
subscription fee directly in the cable bill.  Perhaps then, people
wouldn't notice it quite so much as a separate line item.  :)

Mike