[mythtv-users] OT: converting some xvid avi's to mpeg

Marc Barrett mnealbarrett at cox.net
Thu Sep 6 09:04:35 UTC 2007

I have a portable DVD player that I've had the best luck in getting to
play .mpg files dumped to a DVD-ROM disc.  (I've had problems
burning standard DVDs, but if I just dump .mpg files to a DVD-R,
it takes them with no problems at all)  Anyway, I have some files
that are xvid or dvix files in .avi format, which I'd like to convert to
mpeg format.  (MPEG-1 or MPEG-2, probably makes no difference).
I was wondering if someone could give me a transcode script
or something which could do this.

I use fedora 7, btw, so I might also need a bit of help in installing the
xvid/divx codec.

Thanks.