[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Sep 6 02:12:44 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 07:06:23PM -0700, Robert Current wrote:
> > Let's us be clear here:
> >
> > If you were using Titan to manually schedule programs, and you could
> > not download 2 weeks of programming data in a block, then in fact the
> > "certain types of recordings" you "couldn't schedule" would be the type
> > that people love Myth for now: ones you don't know are coming.
> >
> > So whomever Robert is paraphrasing here is *correct*, and he is
> > incorrect in characterising it as "FUD".
>
> Wow Jay, you actually made the water muddy and tried to call it making
> it clear!

Nope, I didn't.  Nice try, there, though.

> Ok, if someone have 2 DAYS of scheduling data, it will record
> automatically, and it will allow recurring scheduling.  Two HOURS for
> that matter.  A show is on every week, you only need to know it's
> coming before it starts to start recording it.  MythTV still does that
> automatically.  It doesn't require 2 weeks of data to do that.
>
> And, the added ability to do a one time recording online at a website
> in NO WAY breaks MythTV so that it won't allow you to later convert
> that to recurring recordings.  That option in NO WAY prevents any of
> the existing MythTV scheduling options.
>
> It simply ADDS one more option.  Because the NEW option would have
> some limitations (only one time recording), has NOTHING TO DO with the
> ability to use MythTV in all the ways it currently works.  Everything
> done now could still be done, to try to say it would change what can
> be done now is FUD.

Once again: one of the primary "selling points" for MythTV is that it
can optimize your recording schedule by bumping things to be recorded
later, if you have more programs than tuners.

It can't do that, if it doesn't have sufficient advance schedule data
to chew on.  So, no: "everything that can be done now [with traditional
long term program schedule data]" could, in point of actual fact, *not*
"still be done [if you were scheduling recordings one by one using
Titan's web interface]."

Unlike some people, I can actually *spot* a strawman argument; please
don't take issue with things I didn't say.

Cheers,
-- jra