[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 5 20:10:50 UTC 2007

Robert Current wrote:

> It sure wasn't because TitanTV doesn't want to support more PVRs, I'm
> sure their hardware partners would like to see this "no we won't
> support a PVR using that hardware" answer.  The problem is, no one
> will show this answer, because it doesn't exist.

According to the docs that came with a Titan-partnered product that I
purchased (EyeTV), Titan gets at least some of its data from TMS. My
docs specifically stated that ElGato/Titan had a contract for the next
two years with TMS (as of the time of my purchase), and could not
guarantee continuing service past that time, although they would make a
good faith effort to continue it.

Since TMS has stated they do not wish to continue to support Myth, this
would seem to imply that they would not provide Titan with data for that
purpose.

I read my Titan license carefully, and concluded that using the data for
MythTV would be a violation, even though I have paid to use that data
for its intended purpose.

I really can't see the SD people spending time, money and effort if a
simpler and/or cheaper solution could be found. They have simply
continued the tradition of supporting the Myth community without
remuneration to themselves.

Nobody is stopping you or anyone else from using any other solution,
though I would suggest being careful about discussing potentially
questionable methods on a publicly archived list.

beww