[mythtv-users] Problem auto-finding xmltvid's with QAM, channel scan

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 03:36:04 UTC 2007

On 9/4/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 09/04/2007 10:31 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> > On 9/4/07, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On 9/4/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>> On 09/03/2007 11:52 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> Using an Avermedia A180 and Verizon FIOS QAM, I did a channel scan in
> >>>> 0.20.2, and then a Fetch.  From what I read, it sounded like this was
> >>>> supposed to fill in the xmltvid's, but it did not.  What should I
> >>>> check that might have been set incorrectly?  Or is it possibly a bug?
> >>>>
> >>> Not a bug (in Myth).  Probably your cable company doesn't include enough
> >>> information in the channels to link them up with data from SD.  That
> >>> means you'll have to manually provide the information using the channel
> >>> editor.  If you set Myth channel callsigns to match those in the SD
> >>> data, Fetch will probably fill in xlmtvid's for you.
> >>>
> >> No dice.  I tried putting in callsigns for some, but Fetch did
> >> nothing.  I also tried putting in xmltvid's for some, and Fetch still
> >> did nothing.  I tried watching live, hitting E, and then hitting the
> >> Probe button (both for ones where I'd entered call signs and ones
> >> where I'd entered xmltvids), still nothing.
> >>
> > And now when I did a mfdb run, it put back in all the channels I had
> > removed into both of my non-QAM lineups.
> >
> > What signals mfdb not to add channels you've removed back into the database?
> --remove-new-channels
> See http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-24.html#ss24.4 for far more details.
> See mythfilldatabase --help

I saw --remove-new-channels in the myth docs, so I read the mfdb help,
where it says its function is to remove new channels (those not in the
DB) from the DD lineup.  When I read that, it sounds like that's not
what I want - I don't want those channels removed from DD, since some
of my lineups use them.

Are you saying that what it actually does (or in addition to the
above) is not add channels to the MYSQL database?  That information is
absent from both those places.  mfdb help does mention new channels
being removed from dvb and htdv sources, but that's not my situation.

> Though you really need to get your lineup straightened out. (I'm
> thinking you were the one who mentioned issues getting the right
> channels in the SD lineup.)

And how.  Yes, I'm the one who mentioned the lineup problems.  I
managed to get all the channels I wanted in the myth db, and I have a
saved snapshot of my db at that point, so I can restore it and try
mfdb --remove-new-channels.

Ok, hold on.....hmmm, that _seemed_ to work.  Perhaps the help text
should be updated.  If it keeps working, then my only problem is
getting those QAM channels to get the correct info in them.


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list