[mythtv-users] XFS: options when running mkfs.xfs

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Sep 4 23:35:35 UTC 2007

On Sep 4, 2007, at 4:19 PM, Andrew Burgess wrote:

> I'm not finding much information on good command line
> options for mkfs.xfs for video files. Did anyone figure
> this out or is everyone just using the defaults?

I don't know of any mkfs changes, but Henk Schoneveld told me once
that using the mount option "allocsize=512m" reduces fragmentation.
I've been meaning to try it but haven't gotten around to it yet.
MythTV tends to keep filesystems very close to full, and I've found
xfs with default options will fragment and suffer reduced performance
under these conditions if xfs_fsr isn't run periodically.