[mythtv-users] XBMC port to Linux and Mythtv

Steve MacLaren scram69 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 01:45:57 UTC 2007

On 9/3/07, Steve MacLaren <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/3/07, kanetse at gmail.com <kane.tse at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 8/27/07, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I mentioned, but it's not a great dedicated front end. From what I've
> > heard,
> > > and you probably know this better than myself, running Myth on Xebian
> > on the
> > > machine is slow as heck.
> > >

> > I'm just curious to know how people define slow for MythTV on the
> > XBox.  I just did a clean install of Xebian 1.1.4 and MythTV-0.20.2
> > today
>

>  I've just given this a try for the first time earlier today.  However,
> mythfrontend wont start on the Xbox.  I'm still getting the  "Client does
> not support authentication protocol requested by server" error, even though
> I've followed the directions here:
> http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Xebian_HOWTO#Install_MythTV
> regarding changing the mysql password to the "old style".
>
> Any ideas on why the Xbox frontend can't connect to the DB?

After a bit more searching, I found the answer to my problem; there is a
better way (in that it works) to change the mysql password to the "old
style" documented here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/old-client.html

I've gone ahead and added it to the xbox-linux wiki page above.

Has anyone tried mythvideo with Xebian and 0.20.2?