[mythtv-users] pre-setup myth distros

James Gutshall Jr warchildx at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 23:14:13 UTC 2007

ok, that didnt make any sense after reading it. To clarify my previous
email.

1) knoppmyth is easy to use
2) easy to upgrade... and if in doubt, the forums will give instructions,
and gotchas to watch out for when upgrading.
3) easy to upgrade: part 2... usually (broad overview) download newest iso,
boot it, and select upgrade.
4) yes, you can use debs on it (it is based on knoppix which is very debian
like).  you can also use apt-get to install your own apps, etc.
5) relating to 4: use the upgrade path configured with the distro/forums
rather than trying to use apt-get to upgrade.  knoppmyth has a custom
kernel, etc and apt will almost always break the driver for tuner cards, or
lirc.
6) i have not used mythdora, or *buntu, but I have "rolled my own" and as
far as ease of use, and myth features, knoppmyth is nice.
7) always (regardless of distro/flavor/etc) backup your config, custom
scripts, database as well as your personal data (roms, pics, movies, etc).

--James