[mythtv-users] DVB-T Tuner

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Wed Nov 28 10:57:07 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 17:34 +0800, KH Chai wrote:
> I’m thinking of getting the WinTV-Nova-T-500 tuner card instead.  I’ve
> been reading about the review; seems like most people are using it.
> Question: Is it easy on the setup, configuration, and getting it to
> work?  Is it worth getting this tuner card or is there any other
> available “easy to configure” tuner card?  Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated.

I own a Nova-t-500.

It got much better, to a point that it is very usable.

But it still has the occasional hick-up because of weird firmware stuff.
This mostly appears when reception is pretty bad, and/or maybe when the
remote stuff receives too much crap. It's rather undefined...

Mine tends to lockup, losing TV and remote functionality, requiring a
reboot, about once a month.

"Easy" is difficult to define. You will probably need to compile the
v4l-dvb tree against you kernel headers. You do not need to compile a
full kernel.

Full instructions are there, it should be a 10 mn deal:

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-T-500

Make sure that you download the latest firmware file and soft
link/rename it to the right name.

Nico (camelreef)
http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc