[mythtv-users] Compiling latest SVN

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Nov 24 08:17:41 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 09:41:52PM -0500, Harry Devine wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 04:02:43PM -0500, Harry Devine wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not sure what's not being removed, but the fact that when I run
> >> "mythbackend --version" and it complains about not finding
> >> /usr/bin/mythbackend, then something's hanging around pointing to that
> >> location.
> >>

> > Or maybe your build does point to /usr instead of /usr/local?
> >

> >> The only script that I saw get renamed was
> >> /etc/sysconfig/mythbackend.  It was renamed to mythbackend.rpmsave,
> >> and the only thing in the file is "MYTHTV_HOME=/home/mythtv".  What
> >> initscripts should I be looking for to keep?
> >>

> > For now: none. If you want to get the build done you don't really
> > *need* the initscripts, these are for automating everything. You can
> > simply fire up an xterm and call mythbackend in there.
> >
> > Once you're content with your build you can wrap it up by picking a
> > sane start/stop scripts for mythtv. You can take some from the
> > tarball, the packages or the wiki, just make sure everything else
> > works before the wrap-up.
> >
> I'm not sure that the first part of yous answer applies.  I just got
> done doing a make uninstall to remove everything,

No, but that's the wrong way to remove a package.

Further down the road you mention that you are now happily using the
bleeding packages and will do the mythtv-from-scratch at a later time.

When that time comes do indeed remove every shread of a mythtv package
befor ebuildign your own. The line you wrote was doing just that
(adding a -i for catching the perl packages as well):

rpm -qa | grep -v myth | xargs rpm -e

After that no traces of package based bits for mythtv will have
remained. You can now safely configure/make/make install under /usr or
/usr/local.

In a nutshell: Remove packages only with a package manager (rpm -e,
yum remove, apt-get remove, smart remove and similar for their
guis). Don't manually remove only part of the packages and most of all
don't let the system think the package is still installed when it is
not: Because when the mythtv packages will get their next update at
the next yum update the system will happily install the new package
over your own built bits.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net