[mythtv-users] Newby looking for help configuring MythTV

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 20:09:14 UTC 2007

On 23/11/2007, Andrew Dixon <andrew.d.dixon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using Mythbuntu 7.10 and I'm having some trouble watching TV.  I'm using
> a Hauppauge WinTV card and using the bt878 linux module.  This is all stock
> from the Mythbuntu install and I have not done _any_ cusom compiling (this
> blows my mind).
>
> I've been trying to configure MythTV and have not been able to watch TV in
> MythTV.  But, I have been able to configure and watch xawtv setting NORM to
> "NTSC" and setting freqtab to "us-cable".
>
> When I try to watch TV in MythTV, however, I get the following error:
> >mythtv is already using all available inputs for the channel you selected,
> if you want to watch an in-progress recording select one from the playback
> menu. If you want to watch livetv cancel one of the in-progress recordings
> from the delete menu.

In your case, that probably means that you have no capture cards
configured in mythtv.  Less likely is that you have configured your
capture card, but for some reason it is busy.

Have you run mythtv-setup and gone through all the pages to add your
capture card, video source and channels?

It's not really possible to offer constructive help to the "it doesn't
work" question.  You need to read the documentation, work through the
setup and try to understand what you're doing. When you get to a bit
you don't understand, then ask a specific question.

It's not easy, but it's well worth it, and you'll get plenty of help
here as long as you ask the right questions.

Welcome to mythtv.