[mythtv-users] S-video quality

Mark Fink marksfink at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 23 16:18:47 UTC 2007

I have read many comments (on various boards) on the poor quality of s-video from a PC, but
am trying to better define what this means. Certainly, s-video is worse
than component, DVI, or HDMI, but...

Let's say I want to build a Linux HTPC running MythTV. I will never use
it as a typical desktop PC -- the primary use will be TV
recording/playback and DVD playback.

In this scenario, what are the pitfalls of attempting an s-video
configuration? How will s-video output in this scenario compare to
s-video output from a Comcast cable box or a set-top DVD player or a
Tivo (all of which look good to me on my SDTV)?

Can anyone make any specific HTPC hardware recommendations for optimum
s-video performance? Or...is s-video from an HTPC a losing battle?