[mythtv-users] Dell PowerEdge 2550 1 GHz as dedicated backend/storage..?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Nov 19 18:48:31 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 12:36:56PM -0500, Chris Ribe wrote:
>      In general, we often get the SCSI's for less per GIG than the ATA's,
>      which seems a excellent deal, what with hot-swap and hardware RAID.
>      Trailing Edge Technology is now officially Fast Enough.
>
>    Really?  Because I was just browsing completed listings, and I didn't see
>    anything  that had sold and shipped for less than $.65/GB, which is about 3
>    times the cost of SATA storage.   Once you add the cost of RAID controllers
>    and a chassis that can accommodate the dozen or so drives you need to get a
>    reasonable amount of storage, SCSI is just a waste of time.

I've just looked up bare 146s on eBay; the ones I see selling without
sleds went for between 40 and 90 bucks, which is .25 to .55/GB.

.25 is close enough for me.  :-)

>    It may have its applications, but video storage isn't one of them.

I'm tempted to say "go open the case on one of your Grass Valley
Profile's", but that would be mean.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Witty slogan redacted until AMPTP stop screwing WGA