[mythtv-users] Multiple directories

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 21:15:52 UTC 2007

On 11/16/07, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net> wrote:
> This is a choice between loosing a bit of reliability based on hardware
> disks (LVM itself is quite a stable thing) and software reliability by
> going outside of my package management system.
>
> I rather like the package management system, I do not want to manually
> manage the code of a complex (very nice, but complex) piece of software.
>
> I've been dealing with LVM-like stuff before as part of my job, and
> rather like it too.
>
> LVM will also make it so easy to replace a 250 GB disk with a 1TB disk
> at a later stage, without breaking/changing the current setup.

At some point the stuff in SVN will be released and there will be
packages available.  No one knows exactly when but it won't be
forever.  Once you are using storage groups you'll wish could get rid
of LVM.

I would recommend this:
1. Unmount current disk
2. Mount new disk at the original mount point
3. Mount old disk at a different mount point
4. Make symbolic links to each of your recordings.
5. Set the option to follow links.

You are done.  No LVM to worry about.  Now when storage groups comes
along you just remove the links and add both directories to the
Default storage group.