[mythtv-users] Best Linux for MythTV

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 04:05:45 UTC 2007

I've tried Myth on Fedora 5 and 6(BE & FE using Jarod's guides), Mythdora
3.2 & 4.0 (BE & FE), Ubuntu FF (FE only), and Mac OS X (FE only, albeit on a
cracked copy running on a Dell laptop). Mythdora 4.0 was by far the easiest
install and setup I've used. With my PVR-150 it's "just worked" on an Athlon
2500+ and an Intel Pentium D system as well as a few FE-only laptops. But
Mythdora 4.0 is version 0.20.1 fixes, and upgrading to the latest stable
release (0.20.2) involved jumping through a few hoops.

I haven't tried Mythbuntu or KnoppMyth in a couple years, so I don't know
about those distros.

The big question, of course, is what exactly you need. Basic recording? Do
you want lots of add-ons like MythMusic, Myth2iPod, MythIPTV (What's it
called these days?), etc? Are you recording standard definition or do you
want HD? Single standalone system or multiple FE & BE machines? Cable box or
straight in? Etc., etc., etc.