[mythtv-users] Comcast OnDemand on Multiple STBs

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 17:43:25 UTC 2007

On Nov 11, 2007 5:46 AM, David Shay <david at shay.net> wrote:
> A complete solution could look like this:
> * Local .lircrc entries on each frontend with appropriate irexec entries for
> the keys which you want to use to control the STB. I am assuming these will
> have to be a unique set of navigation and "enter" keys since otherwise they
> would conflict with the function and meaning of those in myth.  These irexec
> entries would call a script on the local frontend which would:
> * call wget on the backend status port.  Parse this to determine which the
> video-on-demand tuner.  Personally, I would cache this output for a minute
> or two locally to avoid repeated unnecessary calls to the status port.  Once
> the tuner was determined use "rexec" or the remote-execution mechanism of
> your choice to call an "irsend" script on the backend with the desired
> parameters.

OK...I may be missing something, but it seems to me that interactive
is potentially the wrong solution.  In my area, VOD is -always- on the
same channels, and the sequence (down, left, enter, up,
enter...whatever...) is -always- the same.  This means that anytime
I'm tuning to channel one (for example), I need to enter the channel
number, wait 3 seconds, send down, left, enter, wait two seconds, send
up, enter.  If this is the case, then you simply need to modify the
script that changes channels to be a tad smarter, something like this

<change channel to> channel

if (channel == 1) then
  irsend <some extra codes>

With this approach, the fact that you're watching VOD becomes
invisible, you're doing it on the backend and have all the information
necessary, etc, etc, etc.