[mythtv-users] missplaced error message?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 9 02:16:20 UTC 2007

On 11/08/2007 09:50 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2007, at 6:37 AM, Josh White wrote:
>>   I've been running my mythtv setup for about a month now, and I am
>> quite happy with it.  There are occasional problems, but that is to
>> be expected with such a complex system and an inexperienced
>> administrator.  My question right now concerns the quoted text below:
>>
>> "Last mythfilldatabase run started on 2007-11-07 18:33 and ended on
>> 2007-11-07 18:33. mythfilldatabase ran, but did not insert any new
>> data into the Guide for 1 of 1 sources. This can indicate a
>> potential grabber failure."
>>

> This could mean that you've set your system up to run mythfilldatabase
> twice a day instead of once a day. The first one would work correctly
> and the second would find no new data and report this message. If you
> set up a cron job to run mythfilldatabase AND have the backend set to
> automatically run it, that's what is happening.

Or you've a misconfiguration in video sources which causes an "unused"
video source to fail to update (can be fixed with
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 ).
Note, also, that in 0.20-fixes and below, the message you're seeing was
often shown more often than it should be.  There have been fixes in SVN
trunk (I'm pretty sure Stuart Morgan did a bunch of work on it) that
make the notifications more reliable and less "warn, just in case."

Or, it's just a timing issue--it will happen occasionally depending on
when the recommended update times are.

Either way, it's almost always nothing to worry about.  Now, if you see
that message and you have only 2 days of data, you may want to start
worrying.

Mike