[mythtv-users] Mysteriously missing SD data

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu Nov 8 20:11:40 UTC 2007

    > Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:14:54 -0800
    > From: David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us>

    > On Nov 7, 2007, at 11:36 AM, David Brodbeck wrote:

    > > On Nov 7, 2007, at 11:04 AM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
    > >
    > >> Did anyone else notice that they lost all their SD data on Sunday?
    > >
    > > I haven't seen that specificially, but I'm having a lot of problems
    > > with SD lately. I've been getting a lot of these for the last three
    > > days:
    > >
    > > 2007-11-04 03:07:43.291 DataDirect, Error: UpdateProgramViewTable no
    > > dd_state!
    > > 2007-11-04 03:07:43.336 Did not find any new program data.
    > >
    > > I ran optimize_mythdb.pl followed by mythfilldatabase, but I'm still
    > > getting the same error.  Anyone else having this issue?

    > I opened a thread about this on the SD Support forum:
    > http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=475

    > So far it's gotten one comment from another user having the same  
    > problem, but no "official" attention.

I am currently (as of yesterday) saving all data retrieved from SD for
16 days.  If this happens again, and it's an SD problem, I'll be able
to rerun mfdb by hand and compare whether I've gotten different data.

HOWEVER---I'm currently doing this using the 0.18.1-to-0.20 compatibility
script discussed here a few months ago (e.g., it fetches using tv_grab_na_dd,
massages the episode-ID's [and I should note that there are some duplicates
now, causing those inserts to fail---so this isn't going to work forever]),
and now that I'm done with a lot of travel, it's past time to finally take
the plunge to 0.20 (and update all of my 0.18-specific automation, sigh).

QUESTION:  Once I start using the normal, built-in 0.20 SD grabber, is
there any clean way of saving all the data it has retrieved from SD
-before- it's processed it?  E.g., I want a way of seeing what bits
came in from SD that were later processed into database entries, so
I can save them for later use.  (For debugging a problem like this,
or if something goes horribly wrong w/the grab, using yesterday's grab
data without having to muck around with yesterday's database backup,
if it exists, etc.)

Also:  If anyone else notices an SD problem like this, it'd be really
nice if you posted about it immediately.  (I should have, but it was
a very busy couple of days.)  This may save one of us who doesn't look
at their listings page every day from failing to notice that the entire
thing has become blank.  (And I'm going to try to figure out if I have
a DB backup from that interval, and, if so, whether there's some SQL
way of deducing that something bad happened---that shouldn't be too
hard if the table is just mostly empty, and mfdb even has data for
not tossing good data for bad if that happens in 0.20 and later, I
believe---which might be papering over this bug for people running
modern releases, who may fail to get their data updated some days and
never know it...)

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list