[mythtv-users] OT: What does Fedora 8 really have to offer?

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Mon Nov 5 19:03:02 UTC 2007

On 5 Nov 2007 at 13:06, Support [ Ian Ward ] wrote:

> <Flame suit on>
> I'm thinking Ubuntu may be a better option as apt seems much smarter
> than yum.
> Does Ubuntu handle major version upgrades better?
For me, the whole Ubuntu philosopy gets in the way. No root? What's up with
that?... Randomly generated MySQL password? No thanks... SUDO every
time I have to do something as superuser?... Everytime?... Too much bother,
and I don't need a Nanny.

I thought MythBuntu looked promising, but the install scripts are very... um...
restricting? As long as you want your system built their way, then maybe, but
I couldn't figure out how to set up raid0 with xfs.

The writeup on the Ubuntu community wiki says that you can turn an Ubuntu
intallation into a MythBuntu system, but I couldn't get it work. Too many
permission problems. I could not get into MySQL no matter what I tried. The
"randomly generated" password wouldn't let me in, and I couldn't change it
because... oh yeah, I couldn't get in!

So It's back to Fedora 7 for me. At least I can find my way around that
distribution and hose it up as root it I want to.