[mythtv-users] Watching DVD - Xorg on 100%

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Mon Nov 5 04:08:36 UTC 2007

On Sunday 04 November 2007 19:05:05 Ma Begaj wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to watch a DVD which I got yesterday, but the picture
> freezed every 2-3 seconds for a moment. I checked to logs, but there
> was nothing special.
>
> Then I checked "top" and X was almost on 100%. As soon as I came back
> to dvd main menu or chapter menu, X was again on 1-2%. DVD contains a
> few short movies and each of them has/causes the same problem.
>
> What could cause this? What does X have to do with DVD watching?

X handles the output that MythTV generates, at least in most situations.
(Using a PVR-350's TV output would be one exception.) Thus, X must consume
some CPU time to process this output. Normally X won't peg the CPU use at
100%, though. I don't know offhand what specifically might cause this, but I
have seen variation in X's CPU load when playing different types of data.

I doubt if I'll be able to provide more specific help; however, you'll greatly
increase your chances of somebody being able to help if you can provide some
additional information:

1) What video card (or other output method) are you using?

2) What driver and driver version are you using for your video card?

3) What's your output device? (Computer monitor, NTSC TV, PAL TV, digital
   TV [and if so, what format]?)

4) What are your video settings? (Resolution, bit depth, refresh rate,
   etc.)

5) What version of MythTV are you running?

6) What's the title of the DVD that's giving you problems, and for what
   region was it marketed?

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com