[mythtv-users] Building a MythTV Box

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Mon May 21 08:49:35 UTC 2007

On 5/20/07, Gavin Lewandowski <gavin at lewandowski.org.uk> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend the additional components togo with the server, for
> tuner's I am considering a Hauppauge Nova T-500 Dual , it would be nice
> to feed my sky+ output through the media PC too.
>
> DVD recording will be taken care of by using a LG burner , would
> appreciate some recommendations for the other pieces to build the
> machine. 500gig SATA hdd , Infrared Control ?

I'd recommend scrapping the Sky+ box and adding a PCI DVB-S card with a
T-Rex CAM and capture the Sky directly to your PC rather than going through
a capture card - quicker channel changing and better quality.  As far as
remotes (as much as it pains me) I'd recommend the Microsoft MCE remote -
I've got three and love them. You can never have too much storage - I'm up
to 4x750GB SATA-II HDDs (in RAID 5) - not so much for just TV, but also for
storing all our DVDs, music and pictures - all of which are playable through
Myth.  I'm also a big fan of splitting front and back end - use what you've
got as a server - and buy a Mac Mini as a remote front end.

Enjoy.