[mythtv-users] Building a MythTV Box

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Mon May 21 16:10:58 UTC 2007

On 5/21/07, Nick F <nikos.f at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/20/07, Gavin Lewandowski <gavin at lewandowski.org.uk> wrote:
> >

> > Can anyone recommend the additional components togo with the server, for
> > tuner's I am considering a Hauppauge Nova T-500 Dual , it would be nice
> > to feed my sky+ output through the media PC too.
> >
> > DVD recording will be taken care of by using a LG burner , would
> > appreciate some recommendations for the other pieces to build the
> > machine. 500gig SATA hdd , Infrared Control ?
>

> I'd recommend scrapping the Sky+ box and adding a PCI DVB-S card with a
> T-Rex CAM and capture the Sky directly to your PC rather than going through
> a capture card - quicker channel changing and better quality.  As far as
> remotes (as much as it pains me) I'd recommend the Microsoft MCE remote -
> I've got three and love them. You can never have too much storage - I'm up
> to 4x750GB SATA-II HDDs (in RAID 5) - not so much for just TV, but also for
> storing all our DVDs, music and pictures - all of which are playable through
> Myth.  I'm also a big fan of splitting front and back end - use what you've
> got as a server - and buy a Mac Mini as a remote front end.
>
> Enjoy.

Hate to "OT" This for a second but i'm going to anyway..:)

Which device needs the horsepower?  Is it the backend to record or the
frontend to play back?  I thought it was the frontend that needed the high
CPU for HD playback..can you really get away with putting a big backend
somewhere and then small frontends for playback?  Or is this only in the Low
Def world?

I've considered splitting my frontend / backend for quite a while (don't
have the money to do it yet) but this intrigues me.

--Doug