[mythtv-users] Audio Sync problem -- need help

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri May 18 16:35:47 UTC 2007

On 5/18/07, Craig Huff <huffcs at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Joe,
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> The DVDs don't play right on the MythTV system or on my standalone DVD
> player, so I don't think it's the fault of the players.
>
> However, your comment about seeing this when there is corruption in the data
> stream may be a lead.
>
> Would that be corruption from low/poor video signals or (I suspect) from
> capture data problems such as I/O and/or CPU throughput?
>
> What would be most productive for checking throughput problems -- iostat?
> mythbackend logs?  others???
>
> Even so, while there may be such corruption, the capture video plays back on
> MythTV ok.  Is there no clean, straightforward method to get a captured
> video that has corruption put onto a DVD for playback in a standard player?

I believe the problem is a bug with mythtranscode with NTSC hauppage
cards and has to do with the audio having a different frame rate than
the video. I have had to workaround this problem for over a year now
as any video I cut with mythtranscode will have an AV sync problem
where the audio gets further out of sync on each commercial cut. To
avoid this I externally cut my recordings with Projectx and then
mytharchive burns them with no AV sync problem at all.

John