[mythtv-users] Anyone having problems connecting to Zap2it/Datadirect?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Wed May 16 16:54:22 UTC 2007

Azmat wrote:

> On 5/16/07, David George <david at thegeorges.us> wrote:
>
>> On 05/16/2007 11:57 AM, Azmat wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Recently I've been unable to connect to Zap2it from my mythtv box.  I
>>> have an account and it is currently active.
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>>> 2007-05-16 08:43:58.990 Grabbing listing data
>>> --08:43:58--  http://datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com/tvlistings/xtvdService
>>>            => `-'
>>> Resolving datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com... 206.18.98.160
>>> Connecting to datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com|206.18.98.160|:80...failed:
>>> Connection timed out.
>>> Retrying.
>>>

>> Connection timed out is usually a firewall issue.  Can your myth box
>> reach the internet on port 80?  Did you change anything in your firewall
>> config a couple of weeks ago?  I just checked and my box just grabbed
>> datadirect listings about an hour ago so zap2it appears to be working fine.
>>
>> --
>> David
> Thanks for the advice.  It appears however that I'm already trying to
> connect to the zap2it site on port 80 as I indicated from my
> mythfilldatabase output:
> Connecting to datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com|206.18.98.160|:80...
> failed: Connection timed out.
> Retrying.
>
> If I point my browser to http://labs.zap2it.com:80, there is still no
> effect.  Also, I can connect to any other site on the internet, except
> those owned by zap2it (zap2it.com, tvlistings.com).
>
> However, I can connect to these sites from my windows laptop connected
> to the same network.  The only difference is that my laptop is
> wireless and my mythbox is wired.  I am behind my router's firewall,
> but if my router setting were off, wouldn't I be blocked from more
> websites and from both computers?
>
> I checked my mythbox and the software firewall and SELinux are both
> disabled.  I'm running Fedora Core 5 (sorry for not mentioning that
> earlier).
>
> Thanks again for the help.

Actually, pointing to labs.zap2it.com is different than what the grabber
does.  It points to datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com.  The best test
would be to try hitting http://datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com from
your other hosts (you should get an Apache Tomcat 404 error page).

Like the previous poster, I had no problems connecting, either.  It
sounds like a local issue, like routing, firewall, or something is cached..

-Rich