[mythtv-users] MythTV as a DVD player

Russ W. Knize rknize at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 14:16:52 UTC 2007

David Rees wrote:
> On 5/14/07, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Although most everyone who has chimed in so far seems to love Myth as
>> > their DVD player, I must admit that I have had repeated issues with it
>> > using 0.20. Here's a list:
>>
>> Would you mind posting your HW & SW configuration.  Perhaps some will
>> look at it and exclaim, "That's your problem, you are trying to run
>> Linux on a TRS-80!" (Sorry, I'm showing my age here.)  I, personally,
>> would like to know what to avoid.
>
> It's pretty basic. Everything but DVD playback works well, aside from
> a what appears to be the occasional ivtv hang.
>
> Sempron 3000+, 1GB memory, 300 GB SATA (Seagate), LITE-ON DVDRW
> SHM-165H6S, Nvidia FX5200 AGP, 2x PVR 250s.
>
> Fedora Core 6 using MythTV from atrpms.net, kept fully up to date.

I also use Myth as a DVD player in all my front ends.  I find the internal
player to be very unreliable, however.  The menu support is flakey at best
and non-functional at worst.  It also likes to start eating memory and CPU
about 75% through a movie.  I keep rotating between mplayer and xine...but
I think I am using xine now.  It seems to have the most sane menu support
of them all (though it still has issues) and uses much less CPU than the
internal player.  I still don't quite have my LIRC mappings for xine
sorted out right, either.

Russ