[mythtv-users] Audio not working for NTSC channels...

Jeff Steele JSteele at ColoradoCollege.edu
Tue May 15 20:25:05 UTC 2007

Hi All,

   I've got MythTV pretty close to working, but there's still a problem
with the audio for analog (NTSC) channels.

Setup :
         KWorld ATSC 110 analog/digital capture card
         ASUS M2NPV-VM mobo, w/ onboard NVidia sound (~=intel HDA).

The capture card came with a short audio cable to connect it's audio out
jack to the mobo's line in jack.  If I enable line in via alsa_mixer, I
hear the audio "live" whereas the video is delayed 2 or so seconds.  The
MythTV docs say to set line in to mute and to use this as the "capture"
input.  If I do this I get no sound at all.  (All of the other channels
in alsa_mixer are set to unmute, 70-80%).  The other tip in the docs
says to use v4lctl to make sure that /dev/video0 is not muted; but I
_know_ the sound is present on the little jumper cable, so it is at
least making it to the sound chip.

When I first tried analog channels, I got a mythbackend crash, plus a
helpful tip to configure Setup->Recording_Profiles->Software_Encoders.
There were plety of options for video (which I got working nicely), but
for audio I just left it with the default selection (mp3).  Somewhere
else in the setup (???) was an option for audio, and (best I remember) I
left it set to ALSA:default.

My system is at home and not online, so I don't have any more details
than that, but this sounds like a bonehead newbie mistake; hopefully
someone can clue me in !